In message <FCA549BE3ECF9D4CB8CB8576837EA4890A7259@ZEUS.cetest.local>,
"ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen" <g.grem...@cetest.nl>
writes

>I have personally been involved  in measuring
>
>over 40 amps of neutral conductor (@150 Hz) current
>
>in a building stuffed with ITE equipment,
>
>where only 10-16 A rms per phase was
>
>measured.  The neutral conductor was a
>
>1.5 mm2 wire, and the phase conductors
>
>were 2.5 mm2
>

>So I assure you that harmonics can be hazardous if ignored.

Yes: the neutral current can exceed 208 times the phase current in a
3-phse system feeding only SMPS without power factor correction.

>To John:
>
>? Limiting apparent power requirements?
>
>Right and ?harmonics current? is another way of saying that.
>

>? the I^2R losses represent an economic loss to the industry, but the
>supply industry experts say it is not a significant issue?
>

>But I personally would be more than happy getting paid the
>insignificant amount of
>
>money lost by I^2R losses !!! ;<))

Agreed.

>A IGBT costing less than 5 dollars per phase is able to control
>
>a load of 10 kW easily at say 5 or 10 kHz.
>
>It is not even difficult to have a power factor of 1 with the right
>
>Topology.  You will need large inductors to smooth out
>
>the switching frequency or active power factor correction
>
>circuits that at a nominal current level of 10-20% of the
>
>mains current to be corrected, are able to smooth all
>
>current irregularities, so a pure sinus current in phase
>
>with the mains is consumed.
>
>The power loss is about 0.5 % of the corrected power stream
>
>as the injected current is out of phase in the opposite way
>
>as the harmonics of the main power  stream, and as these
>
>devices are also switched, and have an efficiency  of
>
>90% or better.

Products like that are already on the market. But some other products
don't have an economic technology that eliminates harmonic emissions.
--
This is my travelling signature, adding no superfluous mass.
John M Woodgate

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>