I am somewhat familiar with this technology. We call it High Frequency
Filtered Pulse Width Modulation. With this technology you can control the
amplitude of the AC mains (commonly used in dimming lights) by controlling the
duty cycle of a switching device at a frequency of tens, hundreds, or
thousands of times per second.

It is much more complex than phase control but if done right very low harmonic
emissions. Downsides are the large filters required to smooth the wave shape
and filter out the switching emissions. It also takes up a lot more room than
an SSR.

High power light dimmers use this technology for many reasons other than
harmonic emissions.

The Other Brian