The  reasons to limit harmonic currents are not all emc-related,

and mostly power distribution related:

1.       harmonic currents cannot be delivered by the power plant

2.      harmonic currents tend to summarize in the neutral conductor
(substantial fire risk as the neutral is often unfused))

3.      harmonic currents create noise in inductors and transformers and
additional eddy losses (to f-squared)

4.      harmonic currents limit the total power through a distribution network
to less the nominal value due to heat problems

5.      harmonics create false zero crossing and malfunctions in equipment
depending on that

6.      harmonic currents create audible effects in transformers

7.      harmonics currents create low power factors and high crest factors
(increased losses in cabling with i-squared)

There are probably more ….  feel free to add….

The reasons why some limits are in absolute values and some are in percents, I
believe

they are for historical reasons.

Regards,

Ing. Gert Gremmen

g.grem...@cetest.nl <mailto:g.grem...@cetest.nl>

www.cetest.nl

Kiotoweg 363

3047 BG Rotterdam

T 31(0)104152426
F 31(0)104154953

Before printing, think about the environment.