From: Richard Nute <rn...@san.rr.com>
To: ralph.mcdiar...@ca.schneider-electric.com
Cc: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Sent: Wed, February 24, 2010 5:23:24 PM
Subject: Re: [PSES] Toyota

In my Avalon as well as in Lexus, the ignition on-off
is a push-button.  Override "off" is to hold the button
down for 3 seconds kinda like override off on your PC.
I've had to do this on my PC, but I haven't tried it on
the car yet.  So, it would appear the ignition on-off
is also a firmware system.

Yesterday, a woman testified before Congress that, under
uncommanded acceleration, she shifted the car to neutral
and reverse with minimal effect.  Is the transmission
firmware controlled?

On the other hand, Airbus planes are firmware controlled.
At least three layers of redundancy.  Which didn't help
AF 447, an Airbus A330, when the computers were sent
conflicting data.  See:

http://www.airsafe.com/plane-crash/air-
rance-flight-447-airbus-a330-atlantic-ocean.htm

Computers do lock up in the presence of conflicting data.

On 2/24/2010 13:22, ralph.mcdiar...@ca.schneider-electric.com wrote:

> An emergency over-ride could be a simple as turning off the ignition,
> but I'd add that it is not always that simple when a failure catches the
> operator by surprise while in highway traffic.
>
> I think that all safety-critical functions (like accelerator or braking)
> should be single-fault tolerant, but may not always be easy to implement.
> _____________________________________
>
> *
> Ralph McDiarmid* | * Schneider Electric ** | Renewable Energies
> Business* | *CANADA* |

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>