Thank you John and Dennis your input it is greatly appreciated !

Reg Henry

From: John Barnes [mailto:jrbar...@iglou.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:07 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org; Reginald Henry
Subject: Re: FCC PERSONAL COMPUTERS FOR COMMERICAL ENVIORMENT

Reginald,
> Now I think that I understand.. so there is limited testing to be done
> by the assembler in terms of mother board and power supply with the
> chassis open covered.. and testing must be performed at
> an independent labs If the assembler changes to another PS or MB the >
test must be redone ?

Dennis Ward's E-mail talked about the record-keeping issues, and my
previous E-mail talked about the technical issues, of assembling
personal computers (PC's) from approved motherboards and power supplies.
If you abide by these rules, you-- as a personal-computer manufacturer--
do not have to do *any* electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) testing at
all!  You can mix and match power supplies, motherboards, cases, and
other goodies to your heart's content, without getting an EMC test lab
involved-- for sales in the United States.  Unless, of course, your
product causes interference problems (FCC 47 CFR Part 15, 15.102(b)(5)),
in which case you are on the hook big-time.

If a manufacturer makes a motherboard that meets FCC47 CFR Part 15
Paragraph 15.32(a)(1), or a power supply that meets Paragraph 15.32(b),
they will brag about "meeting FCC Part 15" in their:
*  Advertizing,
*  Catalogs,
*  Web pages,
*  Data sheets, and
*  On the boxes, because this is a major selling point for them.

Of course, just because a manufacturer claims something, does not
necessarily mean that it is true.  If you have never heard of the
manufacturer, and their prices seem too good to be true, you may want to
ask around, and get-- and carefully study-- copies of their Declarations
of Conformity (DoC's), safety certificates, etc. before you place any
large orders with them.

In a personal computer (PC), the power supply usually generates the
worst Conducted Emissions, and the motherboard the worst Radiated
Emissions.  Everything else that we stuff into a computer tends to be
relatively quiet compared to these two components.  A good case can
significantly reduce Radiated Emissions, and can reduce Conducted
Emissions somewhat.

In the 1980's/early 1990's the computer industry was pushing the FCC to
let them assemble personal computers without having to put every variant
through long, extensive (and expensive) electromagnetic compatibility
(EMC) tests.  A major consideration, then and now, is that users can
easily customize/upgrade personal computers to meet their needs-- and
they had been doing so for some time without causing major interference
problems.  So why were computer manufacturers being given such a huge
handicap?

The FCC came up with the rules in FCC 47 CFR Part 15 that I discussed in
my previous E-mail, basically providing that:
*  If you have a quiet power supply, the case doesn't matter.
*  If you have a quiet motherboard, the case doesn't matter.
*  But if the power supply OR motherboard is noisy, it must be provided
   with a good case to limit the Conducted and Radiated Emissions.

Thus a power supply/motherboard manufacturer can:
*  Scrimp on development time and cost, and manufacturing cost, to make
   cheap power supplies/motherboards that can only be sold to
   high-volume manufacturers with strong EMC expertise.
*  Spend more development time and cost, making more expensive power
   supplies/motherboards that can be sold to anyone.

High-volume PC manufacturer can buy the cheap power supplies and
motherboards, put them in inexpensive cases, and do the development work
themselves to meet FCC Part 15 at the lowest-possible total
manufacturing cost.  The additional engineering time/cost and EMC
testing get amortized over many units, so they aren't a big burden.

Low-volume PC manufacturers (garage shops) can buy the better power
supplies/motherboards, slap them together in any cases that customers
want (even for individual custom PC's), and ship them.

Users can buy anything from a mass-produced off-the-shelf PC, to a fully
custom one that they assemble at home, and anywhere in between.

John Barnes KS4GL, PE, NCE, NCT, ESDC Eng, ESDC Tech, PSE, SM IEEE
dBi Corporation
http://www.dbicorporation.com/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This transmission may contain information that
is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure
under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of
the information contained herein (including any reliance thereof) is
strictly prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please
immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in it's
entirety,whether in electronic or hard copy format. The views expressed
in this
communication may not necessarily be the views held by the company.
Thank you.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>