Dear Members,

Could you please advise how to satisfy FCC 15.407(b)(1) requirement for an
IEEE 802.11a device operating in 5.2GHz band?  FCC 15.407(b)(1) reads:

"For transmitters operating in the 5.15-5.25 GHz band: all emissions outside
of the 5.15-5.35 GHz band shall not exceed an EIRP of -27 dBm/MHz."

I list three methods for discussion:

Method A: use antenna port conducted measurement scan from 30 MHz to 40 GHz,
add antenna gain to those emissions found within antenna operating band(s),
and compare against the limit.

Method B: use antenna port conducted measurement scan from 30 MHz to 40 GHz,
add antenna gain to those emissions found within antenna operating band(s),
and compare against the limit.  For those emissions that are close to the
limit, use radiated field strength measurement.

Method C: Within the pass band of the antenna, an antenna port conducted
measurement may be made.  Add antenna gain to compare against limit.  Outside
of the pass band of the antenna, use radiated measurement.

I searched FCC/TCB certified test reports from FCC website.  Most of test
reports use Method A.  There is a test report, signed by one of our group
members, using Method B.  I am asked to use Method C.  What is your opinion?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Grace Lin

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>