The main problem is that a power supply unit is clearly not a medical device
in itself and it cannot realistically be assessed for patient leakage currents
or indeed the strict requirements for the testing of the medical device that
it connects to. However if there is 4kV rms withstand between mains and dc
output (for 230V mains) or 3kV (for 120V mains) and the ac leakage current at
the dc output pins is less than the limit for the patient and if the dc output
pins are not accessible, and it complies with IEC 60950-1, and it is unlikely
to be touched by the patient then it will be suitable for use with a medical
device that does not have electrical contact to a patient.

Not all the above requirements may be applicable to a particular medical
device, and if a power supply does not meet all the above it will have to be
assessed along with the device to verify full compliance of with IEC60601-1
(Medical electrical equipment).

Andy Clifford

 Conformance Ltd - Product safety, approvals and CE-marking consultants The
Old Methodist Chapel, Great Hucklow, Buxton, SK17 8RG England Tel. +44 1298
873800, Fax. +44 1298 873801, www.conformance.co.uk Registered in England,
Company No. 3478646