Carl,

Yes, it is confirmed.  Med grade supplies are Recognized only and are covered
under UL Category QQHM2 (the “2” indicating a U.S. Component, as opposed
to a Canadian standard component, but a component nonetheless).  ITE power
supplies can be covered under QQGQ (Listed) or QQGQ2 (Recognized Component),
primarily.

The Listing of ITE brick supplies was a concession to the massive ITE product
mfrs. lobby; it allows them to buy supplies that have been tested further, and
thus relieves them of some compliance testing requirements of their products.
I would guess that the med device world does not have that much clout with
supply mfrs.  Given the variable leakage limits for different types of med
devices (B, BF, CF), UL probably would not allow Listing of power supplies.

Truth be told, the difference in testing of a medical device if it had a
Listed supply vs. a Recognized supply is probably minimal for most cases.

OOO – Own opinions only, not any current or former employers’

Bryce Stammerjohan | Research & Development Engineer

Thoratec Corporation | 6035 Stoneridge Drive, Pleasanton, CA 94588