Derek:

I think the comments about using batteries were aimed at the fact that a
battery has very low impedance, and can serve as a big "capacitor",
smoothing out the noise from a noisy supply. Also, with the battery
supplying some of the load, the supply is not working as hard, so maybe
it would be contributing less noise too.

You mentioned that LISN and facility powerline filter impedances were
too high to allow starting of your EUT. You could temporarily jumper
around the LISN path, or even the facility filter path, in order to
start the EUT, and then remove the jumpers during testing.

Finally, you could look around (eBay?) for some old brute force linear
supplies, like the old Sorenson that I use. A couple of these in
parallel could get you a much quieter source. Even a single linear in
parallel with your noisy switcher could allow the switcher to contribute
less noise.

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com     WB6WSN
NARTE Certified EMC Engineer
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Applications
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780
Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>