If you have a hefty power transistor and heat sink, you could build a
"Ralph regulator" (if that is the correct spelling) to filter the noise. It
is done with a bipolar transistor. The collector goes to the power source,
and the emitter goes to the load. A large capacitor is tied from the base
to ground. A resistor is wired from base to collector. The resistor is
selected so that the transistor is operating out of saturation, but with a
small voltage from emitter to collector to keep the power dissipation down.
A voltage drop of 1 to 1.5 volts (giving about 50 to 75 watts dissipation)
might be all that is needed. Adjust the power source accordingly to make up
the voltage lost across the regulator.

Alternatively, you could still use a similar set-up, but eliminate the
resistor (but keep the capacitor). Use a known quiet power supply capable
of an amp or two to supply voltage to the base. Adjust the base voltage as
needed (about 0.7 to 1 volt above the desired output voltage) to get the
desired output voltage at the emitter. Keep the main power source 1 to 1.5
volts above the output voltage.

Neither of these solutions is 100% stable over temperature, but once they
achieve final operating temperature, you should have no trouble maintaining
the desired ±0.5 volt if the current draw is constant.

There are also other "boosted regulator" solutions that use regulator ICs
and power transistors. You might be able to keep dissipation in the power
transistor low by powering the input of the regulator IC from its own power
supply set (say) 5 volts above the desired output voltage, but source the
current passing through the power transistor (to supply the device under
test) from your noisy supply, set 1 to 1.5 volts above the desired output
voltage.

Donald Borowski
Schweitzer Engineering Labs
Pullman, WA, USA

             Derek Walton
             <lfresearch@aol.c
             Sent by:                  Ken Javor
             emc-p...@ieee.org         <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com>
                                                                        cc
                                       EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
             08/21/2009 10:05                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: 28 volt Linear Power Supply

Hi Everyone,

thanks for the constructive comments so far.

I'm not really in a position to use batteries, my voltage spec is very
tight at +- 0.5 volts.

I have tried running through the facility filters, they are 100 amp
rated, but I think a combination of that impedance and the LISN
impedance is too much for the EUT starting current. It seems I can start
the EUT with just the LISN's, but then I have too much noise from my
power source.

I swapped the room filters for some 10 uF caps, same ones that are
called out in MIL std testing, and I almost get quiet enough.

Ideally, I'd like to find a quieter source rather than try to filter.....

Sincerely,

Derek Walton

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>