In message <405834.27014...@web51806.mail.re2.yahoo.com>, dated Fri, 21
Aug 2009, Wendy Nya <wendy...@yahoo.com> writes:

>My company is deliberating to setup the IEC 61000-4-8 test with test
>level up to 200 Gauss. We checked that the max permissible level
>based on ICNIRP guidelines is 10 A/m2. I did some conversion and the
>results came up to be only 0.2 A/m2.
>
>Can anyone confirm if my conversion is correct.

I don't think you should expose people to the test field strength,
although fingers and even hands don't seem to be affected even by
stronger fields.

How did you do the conversion? Converting the Stone Age unit gauss to SI
units is not uncertain, but then converting to current density is quite
ill-defined. And are you SURE you mean '10A/m^2', which is a current
density, or do you mean '10 A/m', which is a magnetic field strength?

200 Gs = 0.02 T (tesla)

1 A/m corresponds in air to 1.26 μT. So 200 Gs corresponds to nearly
16000 A/m **in air** - much less in iron.
Things can always get better. But that's not the only option.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>