In message <250286.14324...@web39605.mail.mud.yahoo.com>, dated Wed, 11
Mar 2009, Bill Owsley <wdows...@yahoo.com> writes:

>Floating a scope is not just lifting the ground since the neutral (in
>the USA) goes back to ground.

But the neutral isn't connected to any signal circuits within the scope,
so lifting the ground allows those circuits to be connected to a 'hot'
reference point.

>Floating for me is using an isolation transformer - there is no
>galvanic connection to the mains.  As you've mentioned - training as in
>education.  And yes, there's some capacitive coupling that could make
>touching some voltages somewhat uncomfortable but your back pockets
>won't  explode in flames.

Isolation transformers create their own problems. There is a good reason
why the neutral of public supplies is grounded, in all countries except
where the surface of the planet is non-conducting rock (some parts of
Norway and France, for example).

A safety Class 1 product has only basic insulation between mains and
accessible parts. That is OK if there is a second safeguard - grounding
the accessible parts. But if they are not grounded and the mains is
floating, an insulation failure can persist undetected.
Things can always get better. But that's not the only option.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>