We have read in this thread about missteps which were, luckily, only
embarassing.  Given that training is SUPPOSED to inform people so they
don't do stupid things, and that we do them anyway, I am just as glad to
see insulating covers on LISN's.

I know why my former colleague floated the scope and I see it done quite a
bit.  But I am also unwilling to let a stupid mistake be the last mistake
we can ever make.  In that lab, I had a chance to make things safer and I
did.

Whether the inspector has legal grounds for writing a citation depends on
your state's occupational safety laws.  I am definitely the wrong guy to
ask about that!  However, you might ask your firm's attorney(s) whether it
is legal to pull the safety ground off test equipment in yours.   And what
happens when the required warnings aren't enough.

Cortland Richmond

mitigated, if the access to the area is controlled and only trained
personnel familiar with hazard mitigation are allowed to operate equipment.
I am constantly arguing with the fire/health inspector on this issue, and
am weary of citing the same OSHA clauses. Last month, I was down the street
visiting a friend at his place of employment and watched the same inspector
walk by some serious fire and shock hazards in a common area. To quote the
great philosopher Bugs Bunny, "what a marooon..."

> I can think of several reasons that your former safety engineer 'floated'
the test equipment. And I have a large banner above my safety benches that
indicate that "test equipment on this bench may be floated - extreme shock
hazard".
> I also routinely have type test set-ups that expose hundreds or thousands
of volts to the bench user. And so what ? The lab is a controlled space.
What concept am I missing ?

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>