Lauren and list:

I agree with Nick - a guard is a guard. Note that the title of section 1.4 is
"REQUIRED CHARACTERISTICS OF GUARDS AND PROTECTIVE DEVICES". There is no
differentiation made because none is needed.

In your example, you mention "a panel covering the entrance of a hazardous
voltage electrical assembly". You are correct - if the panel is held in place
with fasteners, then it is a fixed guard and the requirements for fixed guards
applies. If it's a hinged panel with a t-handle, then there must be some way
of either controlling the hazards when the guard is opened (interlocks etc.)
OR there must be a way to secure the cover (locks, fasteners, etc) and
suitable hazard warnings on the movable guard.

--
Doug Nix, A.Sc.T.
IEEE PSES

d...@ieee.org