I am working a project to adapt our equipment for the new Machinery Directive
(2006/42/EC). Because of the revisions related to guards, I find myself facing
a fundamental question for which I can find no direct address in the various
guides available either for the new or the old directive.

The basic question is "Does section 1.4 apply to any guard, or only guards
provided to protect against risks arising from moving parts?"

I see in 1.3.8 very specific instructions on how fixed guards etc... should be
used as relates to moving parts, and criteria for such guards is given in
sections of 1.4.

I do not see anywhere else in the Annex an instruction saying guards should be
provided to protect against risks arising from other hazard types such as
electrical hazards, or thermal hazards, or toxic material hazards.

Nonetheless, section 1.4 sits there on its own...unqualified. So it could be
understood as applying to any guard per the rather broad definition in
1.1.1(f). " ‘guard’ means a part of the machinery used specifically to provide
protection by means of a physical barrier;"

The practical import of this is, for example, if I have a panel covering the
entrance of a hazardous voltage electrical assembly, is it a "fixed guard" that
must have attached fixing systems (captive hardware)

Regards,
Lauren Crane
Product Regulatory Analyst
Corporate Product EHS Lead
Applied Materials Inc.
Austin, TX 512 272-6540 [#922 26540]

- external use -

Save paper and trees!  Please consider the environment before printing this
e-mail.