Hi John:

O.K. Rich maybe we are saying the same thing? My point was an NRTL mark is
basically required to sell electronic product in some states.

Yes, an NRTL mark almost always satisfies both the
employer's compliance with OSHA and the local AHJ.

This is the way most of us do business.

I believe we should keep in mind that NRTL is an
OSHA lab qualification process that simplifies
workplace electrical safety.

We should also keep in mind that a number of AHJs
(who administer the local electrical code) defer
to the OSHA NRTL process to qualify labs for
certifying products for the local electrical code.

Some AHJs do not defer to the OSHA NRTL process,
but use their own criteria for qualifying labs.
The City of Los Angeles is an example of such an
AHJ:

http://ladbs.org/LADBSWeb/LADBS_Forms/TestLab/ETL_list_lab.pdf

Most of the labs in the above list are NRTLs.
However, some NRTLs are NOT on the LA list.

On the other hand, the City of Seattle specifies
approval by a NRTL.  See Article 110.2:

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/static/2008%20SEC%20replacement%20pages_LatestRel
eased_DPDP017554.pdf

NRTL certification is NOT mandatory.  Both OSHA
and local electrical codes provide alternatives
to third-party certification.  However, NRTL
certification is the most practical means of
satisfying both OSHA rules and local embodiment
of electrical codes.

Best regards,
Rich

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html