Sorry Rich but I have to disagree as the CEA document I have shows State laws
which specifically call out an NRTL being mandatory to distribute electronic
equipment into those States...

From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Richard Nute
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2012 7:53 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Cc: peterh...@aol.com
Subject: RE: Mandatory NRTL certification

The way the term "NRTL" has been used here is
mostly wrong.  I want to clarify what the term
"NRTL" means.

In the U.S.A., NRTL certification is NOT
mandatory.  Safety certification is NOT
mandatory.

The U.S.A. has two sets of drivers for safety
certification of electrical products:

1)  The Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA);
2)  The local electrical code.

The U.S.A. OSHA law applies to employers.  The
electrical products used by employees in the
workplace must be certified for safety by a
NRTL.  (Employers have alternatives to NRTL
certified products, but that is not discussed
here.)

So, to comply with the OSHA law, employers
purchase electrical products that are certified
by a NRTL.

The term "NRTL" does not apply to any other
situation.

As has been mentioned, certification by a "NRTL"
is NOT a requirement for electrical equipment
manufacturers; it is a requirement for employers
and the workplace.

In the U.S.A., the local electrical code is
part of the local building code.  In most code
jurisdictions, the electrical code requires the
parts used for electrical construction and
installation be certified for safety.  The
"accepted" certifications are set by the local
Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ).

No relationship exists between OSHA and local
AHJs.  These are independent entities.

Therefore, NRTL certification does not
guarantee acceptance by an AHJ.

Having said that, some (but not all) AHJs defer
to the NRTL scheme for approval of labs that
can issue safety certifications that can be
accepted.

Most NRTLs are accepted by most AHJs.

As has been mentioned here, some retailers and
most medical facilities require electrical
equipment be certified for safety.  The labs
that can satisfy this requirement are specified
by the retailer or medical facility as a part
of their purchase order.  (Some retailers and
some medical facilities actually test the
equipment safety before accepting the equipment!)

Most NRTLs are accepted by most retailers and
most medical facilities.