Chris:

The advantage of a full anechoic chamber is that you don’t have to worry about
reflected signals messing up your pattern measurements. OTOH, full anechoic
performance of a chamber is not easy to achieve, as you get reflections off the
darndest little things.

I think I might try to do a pattern test in nature’s own full anechoic chamber,
a big open field. Remember that almost all the junk in your 2.45 & 5 GHz bands
will be operating at very low power, so if you can put a few hundred feet
between your test site and the rest of the electronic world, I think you might
be able to do pretty good pattern testing.

I just spent a couple of weeks in the desert on BLM land near Quartzite,
Arizona. There are a lot of flat, wide open “antenna ranges” out there. <g> I
recall that CKC Labs has an OATS near Yosemite, so that would make a great road
trip for you.

I think the biggest problem with trying to do 2 & 5 GHz antenna patterns in a
typical commercial lab’s semi-anechoic chamber is simply that antenna patterns
are a bit out of the ordinary job flow, so it will become a bit of a “science
project” wherever you go. I think your accuracy will be influenced more by the
lab’s technique than by stray chamber reflections.

Ed Price

El Cajon, CA

USA