That is the way I learned it, too, back "in the day".
Regards,
Brian Ceresney

-----Original Message-----
From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Peter Tarver
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:12 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: RE: [PSES] Circuit breakers in Europe

In North America, barring circumstances requiring deeper engineering
calculations and supervision, a circuit sized for and protected by a 20 A
breaker cannot carry long continuous currents larger than 16 A.

My preexisting notion (for lack of better understanding) for Europe has
been that a 16 A breaker is used to protect a 16 A circuit.  (The "80%
Rule" or a similar rule does not apply in Europe and overcurrent
protection is generally matched to the circuit size.)

I'm looking for either confirmation of or contradiction of that notion.
So far, one vote received confirming.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver

contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended
recipient, you may not review, use, copy, disclose or distribute this message.
If you received this message in error, please contact the sender by reply email

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>