On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:05:22 -0400,
  Larry Stillings <la...@complianceworldwide.com> wrote:

> What is the defined sequence of test voltages when performing testing to EN
> 61000-4-5 per a family standard that says use the procedure in EN 61000-4-5.
>
> For example when doing a 2 kV Lines to Earth, 1 kV Line to Line test on AC
> power, is it specified what steps must be used for this test. In other words
> should I test at 500V, 1000V and 2000V for line to ground and 500V, 1000V
> from line to line. Or should only 2000V Line to Ground and 1000V line to
> line, or something different, like 500V, 1000V, 1500V, 2000V for example.
>
> We have always done the three steps, but now looking through the 2006
> edition of the standard, I cannot find where it states what steps should be
> used. I know there a couple of family standards that say just the two
> maximum voltages, but was just wondering? Any guidance or pointers is
> appreciated.

In clause 9, the standard says:

  ... Therefore the test voltage has to be increased by steps up to
  the test level specified in the product standard or test plan. All
  lower levels including the selected test level shall be satisfied. ...

For testing purpose, "lower levels" here may be the lower levels
specified in clause 5 of the standard.

See also "Guidance Note Addresses Surge Test Problems", at:

  http://www.ce-mag.com/archive/02/11/williams.html

Regards,
Tom

--