Disclaimer: I'm not arguing for one system or another. I'm only trying to
provide a bit more background for the differences in the two systems based on
personal experience. I've worked with both systems for a while, and I've had my
share of problems with NRTLs. I also recognize that my opinions may not be
shared by everybody. However, I'm interested in a good discussion and I'm open
to alternate views. Read on and then fire away.

One of the reasons third-party certification persists in the United States is
because there is very little market surveillance. Electrical inspectors may
check for a third-party approval if the inspector is closing out an electrical
permit. However, this doesn't always happen. Consumer products almost never get
checked unless there is a reported problem. Retailers may enforce their own
standards, and most large retailers will require manufacturers to have
third-party approval before the retailer will carry the product. Smaller stores
often don't have any requirements and electronics that have never been tested
can easily be purchased in the United States.

The United States also generally enforces electrical codes at the city or
county level. There are cases where cities have their own code or you may have
rules common state-wide. The federal requirements were partly imposed because
there was such a disparity in practice from one jurisdiction to another.
Employees in one state or city might have local inspectors who ensure that
there is a safe workplace while employees in another jurisdiction might be
exposed to far more hazardous equipment.

In my opinion, if the United States switched to a self-declaration system,
greater market surveillance would be required to prevent unscrupulous
manufacturers from selling their products. I see far more product recalls on
the EU RAPEX site than from the CPSC.

Let me add a few items about the Nationally Recognized Test Laboratories
(NRTLs). I've worked with quite a few of them and they all have a few things in
common.

First, none of them will stand behind a customer in court. If you have an NRTL
Listed system, and it fails, it is fully your responsibility. The NRTL
operating agreements and contracts provide liability protection. The
manufacturer agrees to take full responsibility when they sign the contract
with the NRTL. If your product fails, you are responsible. Companies can use
NRTL Listing to show that they did due diligence in trying to design a safe
product, but NRTL Listing won't get you much more in court. Under the U.S.
system, the manufacturer and their liability insurance carrier feel the
responsibility and they pay if something goes wrong. The NRTL Listing is only
another piece of evidence you have to try to convince the jury to see things
your way.

Second, I've never had a significant problem when an alternate part was used in
manufacturing before the NRTL report could be updated properly. At a previous
employer, a sourcing manager would occasionally find a cheaper part. The review
system wasn't prefect and parts could be put into production without notifying
the safety engineering department. When the NRTL found it during an inspection,
hassles were minimal. The NRTL inspector could make the determination on the
spot that the new part was as acceptable as the old part. In that case, the
manufacturer was given a fixed amount of time to update their report, but no
production was held up. If the NRTL inspector couldn't make the determination,
I was able to work quickly with the NRTL engineering office to show that the
new part was acceptable. This could usually be completed within 24 hours. The
NRTL would restrict shipments from the factory of the products with their mark
until the issue was resolved. However, production!
  could continue. I've never worked for a company where a component
substitution could result in a potential hazard, so I can't comment on that
from personal experience. However, if that should happen, the NRTL can
determine what level of rework is required. If there is no significant hazard,
the NRTL may require rework to current inventory and new production. If the
hazard is more significant, the NRTL might request some type of field action.
However, in this case, the NRTL might actually be preventing potentially
hazardous products from being shipped.

This system  does raise the cost of using alternate components. If you find a
part that is better due to cost, quality or performance, you still have to pay
a fee to demonstrate this to the NRTL. This does affect the company's ability
to make nimble changes and that is definitely a drawback.

The NRTL inspections are also based on the risk. For most product types, the
NRTLs will inspect about 4 times a year. However, if a manufacturer repeatedly
has problems, the NRTL will typically increase the frequency of the
inspections. If the problems are not resolved in a satisfactory timeframe, the
NRTL may withdraw their approval for the product. The NRTLs will also perform
more frequent inspections on products that have a greater safety impact, such
as circuit breakers. If something goes wrong with a circuit breaker, a house
could burn down. The NRTLs typically will inspect far more frequently than once
every three months.

I have worked for a small company where the cost of NRTL approval was very high
compared to the revenue derived from a product. However, the cost did not
significantly restrict the company's ability to innovate or reach the market.
As a small company, there were few employees with the knowledge or experience
to truly understand safe product design and the NRTL oversight ended up being
beneficial.

Personally, I would prefer a self-declaration system with a reasonable amount
of market surveillance and oversight. However, with the current political
climate, I don't see the U.S. implementing permanent system that provides the
increased surveillance.

Ted Eckert
Compliance Engineer
Microsoft Corporation
ted.eck...@microsoft.com

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.