The NRTLs have responsibility. OSHA regularly each NRTLs to determine if the
NRTL is properly capable of assessing products to the standards for which OSHA
has authorized the NRTL. If the NRTL fails the audit, it loses its standing as
an NRTL. It will then lose customers and revenue. If the NRTL is found to be
willingly issuing improper approvals, it can face criminal charges. The NRTL is
subject to criminal law, not tort law. I have seen a number of cases where OSHA
has sanctioned an NRTL because the NRTL has not adequately demonstrated that it
could test to the standards it claimed it could.

There also isn't a significant amount an NRTL could say in court. The NRTL can
state that the samples they originally tested were compliant and that the
samples reviewed during an inspection were compliant, but the NRTL cannot make
any statement about the particular item that caused the problem. Unless the
plaintiff's lawyer can show that his client's product had a serial number
showing it was the exact sample specifically reviewed by an NRTL inspector
during an audit, the NRTL cannot state that this particular sample was built
correctly. The NRTL can state that the manufacturer has the capability to
produce a compliant sample, but not that the manufacturer makes every sample
properly.

I would also state that just because the NRTL doesn't send their employees to
testify in product liability suits doesn't absolve them of responsibility under
tort law. An NRTL could be sued directly. If the NRTL were to recklessly issue
approvals, and products with its approval were implicated in safety incidents,
U.S. law would allow law suits directly against that NRTL. I don't think any
NRTL wants to face a class action lawsuit in a U.S. court.

Ted Eckert
Compliance Engineer
Microsoft Corporation
ted.eck...@microsoft.com

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.