Doug,

>From my archives....

(I took a deductive-reasoning approach back in 2008)

The use of wire nuts on short wire pigtails in a wiring box for connection
to the building wiring is primarily a North American wiring method.  You can
deduce this by looking at the marks on the box that they came in.  They most
likely have listing marks for the US, Canada, and/or Mexico, and wire sizes
are in "AWG".  If, on the other hand, you saw the CE Mark or wire sizes
posted in "mm2", or some other international certification markings, you
would have evidence that the use of those wire nuts is an acceptable wiring
method elsewhere.

More evidence of this can be seen in national deviations found in Annex NAE
of UL 60950-1/CSA C22.2 No. 60950-1 vs.the group deviations of EN 60950-1.
UL/CSA 69050-1, Annex NAE 3.2.3 describes leads for field wiring connections
to be not smaller than 150 mm (6 inches) in length, making reference to
sections of the National Electrical Code and Canadian Electrical Code, Part
I.  Annex NAE 3.2.9 further describes box volume calculations required by
the NEC and Canadian Electrical Code for the number of conductors being
connected in a wiring box, normally by wire nuts.    On the other hand, EN
60950-1 has no such deviations or notations. However, written into the body
of the IEC 60950-1 and EN 60950-1 (and other national derivative standards)
is a wiring method for permanent connection to the mains not acceptable in
the US and Canada - the use of a non-detachable power supply cord for
permanent connection.

The most universally accepted means for permanent connection to the mains is
to use a field wiring terminal block with a current rating 125 % of the
current rating of the product it is installed in, certified for the country
of deployment.   In conjunction, holes should be supplied nearby for
accommodation of a conduit system or cable-securing glands.

Best Regards,

Don Gies, N.C.E

Senior Product Compliance Engineer

Alcatel-Lucent