HI folks,

I guess I finally had to weigh in on this one.  We need to keep a few things in
mind here:

1) The use of the EM Clamp is for when a CDN cannot be used, that doesn't mean
when you don't own one. It means when it's impractical.

2) The clamp construction, described in one of the CISPR 16 documents, includes
a capacitive line section. If you look in the clamp this is at the bottom. What
this specifically means is that the clamp cannot be thought of as just another
current injection probe.

3) The Clamp should be constructed so that the cable under test is pushed down
against the capacitive line section: this is different to the CISPR 14 clamp
where centering is desired. The assessor should have not asked for that, but,
you should have known enough to argue back.

4) As for the height, I have to disagree. The EM Clamp has to be used over a
ground plane, indeed, there is a mechanism for it to connect to the ground
plane. I believe ( and stand ready to corrected ) that this is all part of
forcing the clamp impedance, of which the capacitive strip plays a role. It
would seem to me that the distance between this "plate" and the GRP is
important. Maybe not so much at 150 kHz, but by the time we get past 200 MHz as
required by some standards it will certainly be an influence.

I don't believe an accredited lab or unaccredited lab should do this any
differently, or with different equipment. The test is the test: period.
Accreditation simply means 3rd party observation of what they do.

In defense of assessors that do a fine job, if the standard calls for
something, they will expect it. If the committee thought it important enough to
define ( if there is leeway one would hope there are explanatory notes like in
MIL STD 461 or DO-160 ), then it's appropriate to enforce. Shall Vs should,
may, could etc.

My 10 cents worth.

Derek Walton
L F Research.