Colleagues,

Recently I had a conversation with a German colleague who told me that 'star
washers', commonly used for making vibration resistant bonding connections in
North America, are not permitted for this use in Germany. Only lock washers
meeting DIN 6796, commonly called 'Belleville' washers, are accepted. When I
pressed him for a standard or a regulation that made that requirement, he was
not able to provide one.

I know from experience that Bellville washers are superior in performance, and
the serrated version will definitely cut through any surface coating to the
bare metal substrate. Star washers can usually do this, but they do not provide
as uniform a tension on the bolt as a Belleville.

Any comments on the regulatory or standards-based source for this requirement?

Sent from my iPhone
Doug Nix

d...@complianceinsight.com
Mobile: (519) 729-5704