From: Douglas Nix [mailto:d...@mac.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:31 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [PSES] Lock washers for bolted bonding connections

Colleagues,

Recently I had a conversation with a German colleague who told me that 'star
washers', commonly used for making vibration resistant bonding connections
in North America, are not permitted for this use in Germany. Only lock
washers meeting DIN 6796, commonly called 'Belleville' washers, are
accepted. When I pressed him for a standard or a regulation that made that
requirement, he was not able to provide one.

I know from experience that Bellville washers are superior in performance,
and the serrated version will definitely cut through any surface coating to
the bare metal substrate. Star washers can usually do this, but they do not
provide as uniform a tension on the bolt as a Belleville.

Any comments on the regulatory or standards-based source for this
requirement?

Sent from my iPhone
Doug Nix

d...@complianceinsight.com