Joe,

Yes we are in agreement, and you make several valid points regarding gas
discharge tubes.  As is always the case in any design, there are trade-offs.

I have found it beneficial to use a combination of the very good ideas being
discussed on this thread.  For example, solid insulation barriers in
combination with EMI filtering and surge suppression.  The solid insulation an
be judicially placed with thickness sufficient to prevent punch-thru and
sufficient creepage distance to prevent flashover.  An EMI filter adds come
level of series impedance to high frequencies and surge suppression devices
behind this are less likely to fail.  Gas discharge tubes have another problem
in that a poorly selected voltage breakdown may cause the gas to glow under
normal operating conditions and these devices are nothing like the old neon
lamps, they will fail as a result.  In addition, when they do fire, they are
unlike MOVs in that they clamp to near zero volts and the only way to
extinguish the plasma within the tube is a zero crossing of the line voltage.
MOVs are always suspect because of the leakage current heating problem and
catastrophic failure mode where they sputter metal on nearby surfaces.  There
are companies who make air gaps and these are viable so long as they do not
have a problem with corona when the electrodes erode (due to arcing) into
ragged edges.  Sharp points can lower the breakdown voltage (e-fields) just as
the ice pick experiment did back in high school.  You would also need a way to
replenish the air supply within the gaps since corona can build up and
eventually arc over without requiring a surge event.

In any design it is useful to test your mitigation attempts in the actual
product design.

thanks, –doug

Douglas E Powell
doug...@gmail.com