From: Derek Walton [mailto:lfresea...@aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2013 7:48 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] EFT Generator series inductance

I'll premise my reply by saying I could be wrong.. BUt...

My understanding to the Decoupling network in the CDN is to prevent common mode
noise from leaving back to the power source. The concept is not to insert
differential mode impedance. Any DM impedance there is is likely due to leakage
inductance, and more than likely will be less than typical power wiring.

We meet this problem on some designs because they can't cope with even the LISN
impedance, or the EMI room power line filters.

So, MHO is that the power supply you are testing doesn't have enough internal
capacitance. In the real world, the wires leading from the power source to your
power supply will have significant inductance, and you need to be able to
function with that by making short term energy needs are available inside the
power supply.

Next opinion please :-)

Derek Walton
L F Research