In message <ce9c9e3b.1cda4%scott...@gmail.com>, dated Mon, 4 Nov 2013, Scott Xe <scott...@gmail.com> writes:

 Is there any other requirement to determine it such as operating
temperature?

Not exactly 'determine'. Some standards require parts above a specified
temperature (or temperature rise) to be inaccessible.

Can you give me an example or two.  Thanks!

I don't know which standards you have. IEC 60065, for example, gives maximum temperature rises for various different accessible parts. Therefore, if a part is too hot, it must not be accessible

Recently we notice there are dielectric strength tests for LED lamps
and compact FL lamps but no dielectric strength tests required for
halogen lamps.  Actually they all have glass bulb and all are operating
on 230 Vac.  Isn?t glass bulb considered as an accessible parts on
halogen lamp due to high operating temperature?

A dielectric strength test is probably not required because any halogen
lamp that is not broken would pass it. With an intact lamp, there are
two layers of insulation - the glass and the vacuum.

For double insulation, dielectric strength test is still required in general but it doesn't.

Look at the first sentence. No intact lamp would fail the test. The second sentence just points out that this is because there are two very good layers of insulation in an intact lamp.
--
OOO - Own Opinions Only. With best wishes. See www.jmwa.demon.co.uk
Nondum ex silvis sumus

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion
list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org>