I vote you.

Regards
Tim

From: Ken Wyatt [mailto:k...@emc-seminars.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:30 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Job Opening for EMC Engineer

Ed brings up some important advice. As an EMC (or compliance or product
regulations) engineer, you'll need to strike a balance between meeting the
letter of the law (with margin) versus the business needs of your company.
While you can't break the law, you may find you'll often need to balance what
you can achieve EMC-wise with product cost and schedule. For example, with
radiated emissions (generally the toughest thing to meet), I would try to
achieve at least a 6 dB margin below the limit across all frequencies. This
would account for small test sample size and production differences in
resulting emissions. Sometimes the right answer might be only a three dB
margin. I would certainly not accept zero dB margin, however. You'll need to
explain to management about production variances, etc. For high production
runs, you may even consider running audit tests to ensure current products are
still meeting the limit. The better EMC engineers will carefully weigh the
legal requirements with the business needs and avoid being the "EMC Cop" - a
good way to end your career before it starts.

Cheers, Ken

Ken Wyatt
Wyatt Technical Services LLC
k...@emc-seminars.com<mailto:k...@emc-seminars.com>