Egide:

EMC is just one part of the more generalized field of Regulatory Compliance.

I started off in 1968, right out of college, with some background experience
of being a TV station engineer, a ham and an electronics hobbyist (my
experience in mowing lawns, unloading semis and selling ice cream seems to
have been wasted). I walked into a small manufacturing operation making RFI
filters, at a time when they were in flux immediately after being bought by
a mini-conglomerate and having their couple of knowledgeable owners walk
away with a wad of cash and no looking back. My first task was to support
manufacturing, and then to figure out what could be done with a bunch of
test gear that nobody understood. Turns out they had bought the estate of an
old EMC guy, and I was fascinated by those wide-band receivers and weird
boxes and funny gadgets. Pretty soon we had a test lab up and going,
generating filter business for the production group. Testing eventually
eclipsed production. And then we got re-organized and moved and re-organized
and.

I eventually spent most of my career doing one form or another of EMC,
components through platforms, materials through site surveys, and a mountain
of paper. OTOH, in retrospect, the industry has changed so much that my path
may not be worth much current illumination (but thanks for asking, son).

Many young engineers would see EMC and try their best to escape; reliability
and compatibility were just not capable of engaging their spirits and
talents, and they fled to the more glamorous programs or specialties.

Two trends I noticed in EMC; the first is that the World used to be smaller.
As an independent test lab, I dealt with clients, often very inexperienced
in EMC, typically selling to a customer who had an in-house EMC guru. You
dealt with both ends personally, establishing your competency and quality
almost in person (there were no certification agencies or credentialing
boards). Today, those services are provided with much more openness and
transparency, and much more oversight. Under the old way, the same guy being
picky about your test work could also be a guy who would explain a technical
issue to you on another day. That doesn't work that way in today's business
environment (and that's one reason why we are all gathered here in this
electronic guild hall meeting).

The other trend has been the shift from technical engineering to legal
management. Towards the end, I spent more time on the definition of legal
(contractual) issues, standards interpretation and customer / agency
negotiations than I spent on knob-turning. And that may be a better
description of Regulatory Compliance; an RC professional might really be
closer to a lawyer or a manager than an engineer. And with that in mind, I
wouldn't really recommend Regulatory Compliance to someone who really wanted
to do Electrical/Electronic Engineering.

Ed Price
WB6WSN
Chula Vista, CA USA