In message <538ea5c5.6070...@emcesd.com>, dated Tue, 3 Jun 2014, Douglas Smith <d...@emcesd.com> writes:

I just posted my latest Technical Tidbit a few hours ago using a class D stereo amplifier to illustrate a potential problem whereby emission test standards may understate the emissions from a digital device. Here goes:

I wouldn't contest your results, but...

Abstract: Radiated emissions measurements of table top equipment are usually made with the equipment placed on a non-conductive table.

This is because the standards committees are primarily concerned with household products, used in very large numbers, unless they are specifically considering professional products (as defined).

But such equipment is often used on conductive surfaces, like a metal desk, and can couple to the conductive surface to enhance emissions, essentially turning the conductive surface into part of an antenna structure.

This is unlikely in the home but is much more likely in a commercial, light industrial or industrial environment. There is a move to reconsider how 'Class A or Class B' is working, but of course it is controversial. Nevertheless, it could be very relevant in this context.

When this happens, standard testing of emissions can understate actual emissions. A Class D (actually labeled Class Z) stereo amplifier is used to illustrate this effect by measuring common mode current on its cables.

I'm surprised that the maker stopped at Z: there's the whole Russian, or even Georgian, alphabet to explore. (;-)

Link to the article: http://www.emcesd.com/tt2014/tt060114.htm
Link to the whole site: http://www.emcesd.com (lots of new stuff)

--
OOO - Own Opinions Only. With best wishes. See www.jmwa.demon.co.uk
Quid faciamus nisi sit?

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion
list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org>