From: Ted Eckert [mailto:ted.eck...@microsoft.com]
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2014 8:32 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Television Manufacturing Documentary From The Late 1950's -
YouTube

I'm not sure I would state that the amount of testing seems outrageous. Many of
today's similar products undergo extremely rigorous testing on the assembly
line. A modern television will undergo extensive testing. The difference is
that modern testing is automated. We have board of nails testers that can
verify an entire circuit board quickly. Robotic test stations can check buttons
and user interface functions. Cameras and sensors can verify the video and
audio outputs. It's possible that modern testing is even more comprehensive.
The difference is the automation allows it to be done much more quickly and
effectively. We don't need armies of people on the line to run these checks.
There is also more testing pushed down to the suppliers. We expect our power
supply vendors to run extensive testing before they ship their products to our
factories. We may run spot checks, but we expect component testing to be
decentralized.

Ted Eckert
Compliance Engineer
Microsoft Corporation
ted.eck...@microsoft.com

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.

Testing - Yes, it looked like they were testing it to death, leaving only the
good ones to ship.  Obviously, there were enough good ones to give RCA a good
reputation.  I almost expected quality engineers to be present when the
consumer unboxed the set.
Locations - I was surprised how many facilities were involved with design &
manufacturing.
Tube testing - I liked the machine with cork bottle tops hitting the sides of
tubes.  I wonder if it was to test glass strength, or to check for microphonics
(excessive microphonics.) Personal safety - I cringed when I saw the woman
handling the open liquid nitrogen canister with her bare hands, or the assembly
person picking up a CRT by its neck without gloves.

My wife recognized the voice of the narrator (Henry 'Jam' Handy), and said must
have done every documentary in that era.

Pat