To continue flogging a dead frog....

The PHB/MBA style management that has plagued North American compliance labs is
where it is because we, the compliance engineering community, have chosen the
path of least resistance (which is required for reliable bonding...). Mr. Nute
is correct in the statement that agencies are being driven by bottom line
concerns. But will also take the side of some of these labs (those that know me
are probably having seizures), as have personally seen much weirdness in the
test and certification of power conversion stuff. There is one particular lab,
even if requested by customer, that my employer will never use:
incorrect/incomplete reports, no conditions of acceptability, incorrectly
scoped standards, no evidence of factory surveillance, etc. Under the SCC/OSHA
systems, the lab takes considerable risk (regardless of the language in your
General Services agreement with the agencies) under the civil tort process for
all North American legal jurisdictions.

One questioned if "Is it that NRTLs don't trust each other's data? " Yes. In
some cases, have had a customer say the marks of X and Y will not fly with Z
because they also want yada yada. If customer will pay, we re-submit to Z,
where they have access to all of my most wonderful TRFs, pics of test configs,
etc; so Z will take my Tech File and use the reports from X and Y as basis for
use of their mark and add the model to their FUS audits. Agency Z's management
is happy they made more $$$$ with minimal engineering hours, and agency Z's
assessment engineer can go home, drink an ale, and feel reasonably assured that
the product is ok.

Another  wondered if this is ok in legal terms. Yes. If the lab adheres to
29CFR1910, OSHA cannot do anything about a lab's refusal to accept another
lab's certification, or a lab's internal policy structure.

One commented that their labs typically accept other labs' reports. Have found
to be true where there are personal relationships and mutual respect among the
various compliance and assessment engineers. A customer once commented that his
assessment engineer accepted my employer's box because he knew the people that
wrote the report.

Finally, it was said by another august member that "It is extremely unlikely
that this will change any time in the foreseeable future." As the situation is
not intractable in technical sense, we should all endeavor to gently persuade
some amount of change in lab attitudes. And as Mr. Nute noted, just take your
business elsewhere.

Brian