Re "Trust but verify": President Ronald Reagan was using an old Russian proverb, in speaking to Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev about an arms control treaty . Although it was a very old adage, Reagan quoted the phrase in Russian to Gorbachev, to underline his meaning. In spoken Russian, the phrase rhymes. Here are some details:

President Reagans favorite Russian saying regarding arms-control agreements doveryai, no proveryai, trust, but verify.

Regards, Art Michael

P.S. Happy Holidays to all

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014, Doug Smith wrote:

Hi All,

A number of you have attended my web presentation on ESD/EFT internally
generated in system power supplies. As little as 500 V of applied ESD or EFT
is able to break down the supply in both polarities for only one applied
polarity. I have posted on this before. Now, in addition, to the small wall
plug power supplies tested, I have now confirmed that "brick" type supplies
used in PCs can also exhibit these characteristics. Next to try on larger
internal power supplies, likely to see the effect here too. We will see.

When I was at Auspex Systems (1996-2001) we had 8 EMC radiated emissions
tests performed on our equipment (three 1500 lb cabinets full of disk
drives). Of these, 4 tests had significant test errors, two major and two
minor errors, but all had a large impact to our company! The tests were done
at three different labs over time, all made at least one error. "Trust but
verify."

In 2010-2011, I evaluated 8 ESD guns, all had current calibration stickers.
2 of the 8 did not produce the correct output, off by a lot. "Trust but
verify." (Any of you know who said that quote? It is someone from a
completely different field from us.) All the bad data I have ever seen, came
from "calibrated" equipment.

Here are some links on the above topics (if your computer puts a "[1]" in
the link, remove it. Internet files do not end with "[1]":

http://www.emcesd.com/tt2014/tt120214.htm (my latest Technical Tidbit)
December 2010, Comparing "IEC 61000-4-2 Compliant" ESD Simulators
March 2011, Using High Frequency Measurement of ESD Current to Find Problems
with an ESD Simulator

Also check out my YouTube channel tech videos, >100,000 view now. Look for
"Doug Smith EMC" and that should bring up my channel. I am not one of the
Doug Smiths who are musicians.

Doug

--
University of Oxford Tutor
Department for Continuing Education
 |  q-----( )  |  o  |         Email:   d...@dsmith.org
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /          Web:     http://www.dsmith.org

http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/ can be used for graphics (in
well-used formats), large files, etc.

Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/
Instructions: http://www.ieee-pses.org/list.html (including how to
unsubscribe)
List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion
list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org>