Hi Ed and the Group,

Ed said: "Did you create a write-up on what those errors specifically were, and how it happened that you noticed them in time to control them?"

I have not specifically written them up although I do tell them as war stories during my presentations. The biggies I remember were antenna placement (we had a large EUT about 8 feet across), wrong antenna factors, and injecting more current in the conducted immunity test than was called for (they did not allow for lowering the current injected from the clamp to the value that would have resulted from the ISN into a 150 Ohm common mode load. The test person usually pushed back when I requested them to do the test differently, but when I had them bring the appropriate standard out, I was able to point to the applicable paragraph and they caved to my request.

Other biggies are ESD test setups non-compliant (the lab test area) and the EFT test run with the clamp backwards. The clamp sends more energy to the AUX equipment than the EUT (I don't think the people who designed the EFT clamp understood how it works and did not bother to measure it either). So when backwards it sends 30 to 100 percent more amplitude of stress to the EUT depending on a few parameters. I have spend some time characterizing that clamp. Too bad it was not done by the committee before the standard was published. Since then, I have presented my data to the IEC committee responsible for IEC 61000-4-4, several years ago.

But someone who goes to labs with no knowledge of how these tests are run are at a real disadvantage.

Recently a customer of mine was given a passing test when it should have been failing (the "data" was noise level of EMC instrumentation). The customer did not know better and committed price and delivery on a big lot based on not having to make any changes. This one may end up in court. Luckily, this kind of error is rare, the 2-6 dB errors above are much more common.

Recently I have rolled up a lot of this information in to a short web presentation I give to my clients so they can avoid these problems.

Doug

University of Oxford Tutor
Department for Continuing Education
Oxford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
     ___          _            Doug Smith
      \          / )           P.O. Box 60941
       =========               Boulder City, NV 89006-0941
    _ / \     / \ _            TEL/FAX: 702-570-6108/570-6013
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \          Mobile:  408-858-4528
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /          Web:     http://www.dsmith.org