Folks,

EN 60950-1 defines the requirements for SELV as well as many other
requirements.    SELV is required under certain conditions as defined and where
it's not required it's not needed.   EN 60950-1 does not state that all control
circuits must be SELV.  Therefore all control circuits need not be SELV and it
cannot be assumed that all control voltages in an EN 60950-1 machine are SELV.

DC power supply manufacturers routinely certify and claim compliance to EN
60950-1.  However, I have only seen a few power supply data sheets explicitly
claiming SELV compliance.  In fact, I have reviewed several EN 60950-1 test
reports for various power supplies (not claiming SELV compliance) and the test
results for the SELV clauses are week or actually show non-compliance.  For
example,  component single fault testing for over voltage was insufficient.  In
some cases power supplies rated for nominal voltage meeting SELV requirements
(for example 48VDC)  could be adjusted for an output above SELV ratings or the
fault testing generated output voltages above SELV requirements (60VDC for
longer than 200 ms).  In some cases the power supply data sheets will even list
EN 60950-1 compliance for supplies with a rated output voltage range above
SELV, for example 45-62 VDC.  Therefore my contention is it cannot be assumed
that a power supply listed as EN 60950-1 compliant on a manu!
 facturer's data sheet is also SELV compliant unless explicitly stated so or
proven in the test report results.

I have run across many folks and some CE Machinery Directive compliance reports
stating/assuming SELV compliance strictly due to power supplies being certified
to EN 60950-1 (without any specific SELV claim).  In other words EN 60950-1 ==
SELV.

I'm wondering what other folks opinions are on this?  Does anyone know of any
supporting articles/guidelines etc. clarifying this?

David P. Nyffenegger, PMP, SM-IEEE
Product Development Manager