From: Scott Xe [mailto:scott...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 4:29 PM
To: ri...@ieee.org
Cc: EMC-PSTC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: Class 1 appliances

I have encountered some audio and video receivers with FE.  It is classified as
class I as it is required by connecting to the earth.  The product itself is
class II construction.  The earth connecting wire inside the power supply is
not green/yellow colour.  However the examples had no connection on the earth
pin of kettle main connector - no FE and FE at all.

On Wednesday, 18 February 2015, Richard Nute <ri...@ieee.org
<mailto:ri...@ieee.org> > wrote:

Hi Scott:

>From the outside, any product with a three-wire
(with a PE conductor) is deemed Class I.

Inside, most products will have both Class I and
Class II construction.

Accessible conductive parts must either be
"bonded" to the equipment PE terminal or provided
with a second insulation, either of which provides
protection against electric shock in the event of
failure of basic insulation.  If an accessible
conductive part is not connected to earth, then it
should be double-insulated from the mains.  In
many cases, air (reinforced clearance) separates
the accessible conductive part from the mains; the
part is a long way from the mains.

Today, many equipments with a PE mains supply cord
do not employ Class I construction.  The PE
terminal inside the equipment is used only for
connection of a functional earth, FE, to earth.
An example is connection of Y1 (EMI suppression)
capacitors to earth.

Regardless of construction, any equipment with a
PE is Class I.  Any equipment with a two-wire
mains cord is Class II (or Class 0, which, as John
has mentioned, is outlawed in most countries).

Some accessible conductive parts are connected to
earth via a FE rather than bonded to the PE
terminal.  (An example is the output d.c. of a
"brick" type power supply as is used with a laptop
computer.)  This is okay as long as the FE is
double-safeguarded from the mains.  But, in the
field, the earthing cannot be discriminated
whether it is FE earthed or is PE earthed.  If the
PE test is applied to the FE, the FE is likely to
fail.  Such a test result will fail equipment
safety testing as well as destroy the equipment.

Enjoy!
Rich