From: "Greg McClure" <gmccl...@lexmark.com>
To: "EMC-PSTC" <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, March 4, 2015 1:15:57 PM
Subject: Re: [PSES] Signal words, definition and usage

Rich,

Thanks for forcing my brain into another frame of mind. I had not thought of it
in exactly that way until I read your comment. The statements we are discussing
are either those prescribed by the applicable standard, or more often, the CYA
type statements we all include in our users guides (such as "do not connect a
fax machine to the telephone line during a lightning storm").

We have been trying to align any statements with the ANSI and ISO standard and
have been getting some resistance from other groups that use the signal words
for other purposes than potential injury. I was looking for additional
perspective to bolster our argument.

Thanks everybody, this has all been good food for thought.

Regards,

Gregory H. McClure
Lexmark Product Safety
859 232 3240 office
859 232 6882 fax

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Richard Nute < ri...@ieee.org > wrote:

Hi Greg:

If you have a product that requires the use of the signal words (except
“notice”), then you have, by definition of the signal word, an un-safe product.
For conventional products, you shouldn’t have to use the signal words.

Best regards,

Rich

discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to &LT;
emc-p...@ieee.org &GT;