From: Mr. Doug Nix C.E.T. [mailto:d...@ieee.org]
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2015 11:40 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] NEC vs CEC for Transformer Protection

John,

I can’t disagree with any of your statements, only say that this is what is
commonly done in practice. Many machine builders have people doing design work
who have only minimal qualifications - 2 yr technician diplomas, or people that
have “learned by doing”. It depends on the company involved. This is also
frequently true of US machine builders. These shops are often very small and
have no engineers on staff.

You may not be aware of this, but in the US, there is no requirement that
people doing engineering work be licensed, with a few specific exceptions in
the civil engineering realm.

In Canada, it depends on the Province or Territory. In Ontario, where I
practice, the Engineer’s Act contains a clause commonly called the “industrial
exception” that is supposed to provide an out to employers who have
non-licenced technical people doing work that is considered to be “engineering”
under the act. The activities are supposed to be limited to work on the
employer’s manufacturing equipment, not product for sale, but in practice no
distinction is made. Unfortunately, the other side of this is that the
definition of Professional Engineering is so broad that you might be challenged
for making your own lunch under the act. It’s a mess, IMO.

Anyway, many of the machine electrical designers that I’ve dealt with over the
years have never seen a time-current curve, and wouldn’t know how to use one,
even if you showed it to them. Ohm’s law? well maybe…

Doug