I agree with Colorado Brian. It seems that more and more, IEC-based standards are requiring a full explanation of symbols and warnings in the user documentation. As it turns out, many clients of mine leave the user manuals to the very last and they are usually very lacking. Where possible using symbols only is an economical option.

One exception to using just symbols might be in certain industries where using an ANSI/IEC compliant labeling system is required.  ‎In this case some verbiage is required. The text should simply describe the problem and how to avoid it. Nothing more. Proper use of the keywords Danger, Warning, and Caution are also essential.  Since overstating the hazard is not advisable.

All the best, Doug

From: Brian Gregory
Sent: Friday, May 1, 2015 11:31 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Reply To: Brian Gregory
Subject: Re: [PSES] Warning Label: Disconnect from Mains

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Kunde, Brian" <brian_ku...@lecotc.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 18:54:17 +0000

Brian, thanks for your input. Can the potential hazard be addresses without English Text which may be misunderstood by those unfamiliar with the language? Wouldn’t Symbols Only be better?

[Colorado Brian here]  Symbols ON the equipment are sufficient, and often preferred.  John's answer is also correct, that the symbols (even fully JIT-compliant ones) need explained, in all the appropriate languages (as defined by ND's), in the supplied documentation.  Any additional needed information can be added at this point by the manufacturer.

So if AHJs, NRTLs, etc. like to see some kind of warning on the outside of electrical equipment, then won’t the Hazardous Voltage Warning symbol alone meet this requirement WITHOUT any Text?

As the Machinery Directive states, “Information and warnings on the machinery should preferably be provided in the form of readily understandable symbols or pictograms.”

Bingo;  warnings on the machinery....

And in the case given in the 61010-1 standards, it doesn’t say that you have to use Text, but what the warning marking should state. A symbol or symbols can “state” or have the same meaning as text without the concern of the User needing to be able to understand the language of the text.

I advise being verbose as possible in the documentation;  this can be in digital format, so needn't incur much additional expense.  You, as the manufacturer, are now officially on record as directing the end user:  DO this, NOT that... etc.   Wordy labels can be expensive, and possibly confusing (esp. when many languages get involved);  I was always perfectly happy with symbols.

CYA, baby....

The Colorado Brian