Hello Ed,

I have done a product to the Toy Directive and I have experience with the EN 71
series standards. The items you mention would fall under EN 71-1 which covers
the physical properties of toys. In particular, the elastic cords would need to
comply with section 5.4 “Cords, chains and electrical cables in toys”. This
section is intended to prevent children from being strangled by cords. The
standard does not assess the risk of injury due to the quick release of energy
stored in an elastic band. For springs, it covers the risk of injury from part
of the body getting caught between the coils of springs, but it doesn’t
specifically regulate the strength of springs.

There are classes of toys, such as yoyo balls, that include elastic cords and
are specifically covered in EN 71-1. The requirements for a yoyo ball elastic
cord might be applied to the elastic cords for other toys and the standard does
give fairly specific requirements. However, the consideration is still
strangulation and not the sudden release of stored energy.

There are different considerations if you produce a product intended to use
stored energy to launch a projectile. EN 71-1 section 4.17 covers projectile
type toys and there are tests for stored energy for products such as a toy bow
and arrow. However, these requirements only apply to products intended for this
purpose.

There are a few assumptions commonly made in assessments of this type of
product. First, a young child would not likely have the strength and manual
dexterity to cause injury if they figured out how to use such a product as a
slingshot. Second, an older child that could use such a product as a slingshot
will likely figure out how to cause injury or property damage by using just
about any type of toy or product as a weapon. There is little the standards can
do to protect from the inventiveness or intent of such a child. You just have
to wait for them to grow up and become either an engineer.

Ted Eckert
Compliance Engineer
Microsoft Corporation
ted.eck...@microsoft.com<mailto:ted.eck...@microsoft.com>

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.