Rich,

I can see your point.  As a result of rapid polarity reversals, the
acceleration of an ion across the mean free path of a gas will be halted
and even reversed. I will read this paper to gain a better understanding
but at this time I believe this will only affect gas breakdown as a result
of impact ionization.

Thanks for the link,

Doug

--