Yes, we test our products to IEC 61000-4-11, however, our test equipment can
only handle 16 amps single phase so we cannot perform this test when the high
current furnace is running.

The word we get from the field is that these power supplies are failing while
the instruments are in Stand-by mode (running but not during an analysis),
meaning, the high current filter is not running at the time of the failures.

UPDATE: We had another power supply failure in our Apps Lab a few nights ago in
one of the same units that failed a few weeks ago. We installed a Surge
Suppressor in an adjacent instrument which did not fail. Our AC Line Analyzer
showed a transient  pulse which was clipped off (probably by the surge
suppressor) at 600 volts with a duration of 14us.  The power supply blew its
fuses (one on each side of the line) plus  opened an upstream 15 amp circuit
breaker. An analysis of the power supply showed that it did not blow its guts
out like previous failures. This one just opened the fuses. We replaced the
fuses and the power supply was functional.

So the power supply still drew enough power to blow the fuses but did not
permanently damage any components this time.

We performed Surge Immunity tests on this same instrument with the same surge
suppressor according to IEC 61000-4-5 up to 6KV without damage.  So something
is different from this test setup verses the real world.

The investigation continues.

Thanks to all for the input.

The Other Brian