On 10/14/2015 4:40 PM, Dan Roman wrote:
The other Brian wrote:

Does anyone have first-hand experience dealing with EMC failures  in the field?
If you fail by 1db, are you dragged
through the mud, fined, banned, prosecuted, black helicopters circle your
house, masked men drag you out of bed in
the middle of the night? Or is action taken only on severe non-compliances?
What's the likely scenario?

Three short stories. Customer complains they are having problems with our very large format flat bed laser scanner. Trip to Buffalo, NY in January with analyzer, antennas, etc. Found significant "noise" in the very quiet RF amplifier circuits. Much chin scratching, head shaking, hand wringing later, I found I could listen to a local radio station in the video path of our product. Tracking it down was a bear but finally found it when I let a scope probe drop and it contacted the metal chassis of the product. Zero span was a wonderful tool to let me listen to 5 different radio stations on the product and all at frequencies below 100 MHz. On the chassis. Then I found it on the power lines. And then I found it on the steel column supporting the roof of the metal building. The final culprit was a radio station 3 blocks north and 7 stories up in the air. With a very large antenna on the roof. Made the entire building hot and resonant at various frequencies. Fixes to the product were difficult, but we eventually succeeded.

Second story was when some government inspector stopped in at a customer's store in The Netherlands. Took a sample of our product back to the government lab for testing. 9 dB over the limit at 48 MHz. Product was a high end DVD player. Just not possible according to my test lab reports. Pulled two units from our EU warehouse and had them tested in Germany. Made sure the serial numbers bracketed the one the government lab said was bad. Not a peep. 4+ dB margin on both units. I called a contact at our EU office and she was able to work her way into the lab and ask lots of questions for me. She had no electronics knowledge, but worked the customs side of things. So she knew a bit about handling bureaucrats. Through her, I was able to show the lab had a bad test set up. The lab manager re-tested according to my configuration "suggestions" and found the unit was compliant after all. The original test engineer did not work there shortly thereafter.

Last story just recently. Israeli customer bought some products (AV gear) and as we normally do, we allowed them to submit for local country approvals. Conducted EMI failed by 12 dB at 4 MHz. Very helpful customer took lots of photographs for me. Contacted the factory (in Asia) and they suggested an "improvement" that might fix the problem. There was a large ferrite core on the AC Mains just in from the appliance inlet that fed up to the front of the box where the switching power supply was located. The factory "improvement" was to move the ferrite an inch to the left and mount it to the side of the chassis and to add several more twists to the discrete line/neutral conductor pair. Customer reworked the product and it passed. Then the Israeli test lab required them to rework the remaining 9 units same way, selected two more for testing and all passed. Case closed. Almost. Looked back at the photos in the original EMC test reports and the ferrite was in different location from the production models Much closer to the inlet and much closer to the side of the product keeping it away from the digital audio amplifier modules. It looks like the production line was getting sloppy in the placement of the ferrite and wire and caused the failure. We added more inspection criteria to our factory inspection checklist after that one.

So one customer reported problem and two government gotcha's. Fortunately I was able to work the three problems and find solutions that did not involve recalls, prohibitions, or fines. And I never had to leave the comforts of home. Except for the month I spent in Buffalo one winter week in January.

Scott

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion
list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org>