From: Brian O'Connell [mailto:oconne...@tamuracorp.com]
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 12:11 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Reliable means to attach thermocouple to object

UL and CSA have published specific procedures and material recommendations for
T/C use in Type Tests. Most NRTLs have some type of CIP program where a sample
power supply is sent to a company lab to verify test technique via TRF data
veracity.

So the moral of the story is to use whatever technique that enables NRTL/NB
acceptance of your test data. In general, cyanoacrylates are my adhesive of
choice, along with Loctite 7452, where the attachment is only for limited
number of tests. Adhesion is only half of the problem. The other issues that
must be addressed are where the t/c is placed on the component, selection of
components, and test conditions.

Tape is a poor choice, for many reasons, for most power supply components.

" ...operating at a temperature of 120 degC..." has no meaning. Test conditions
and component ID? A Tj of 150deg does not mean that you are allowed 150deg on
the component body. TI, ST, and others have published some good stuff on
calculating component temps for power semiconductors. That said, not unusual
for normal operating temp of some components in some SMPS to exceed 100deg. Of
course, Arrhenius had something to say about this...

In any case, just calculate power dissipation for the diode, then use to calc
the Tj. This will be your 'sanity check'.

Brian