From: Richard Nute <ri...@ieee.org>
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2016 1:42 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Reliable means to attach thermocouple to object

> " ...operating at a temperature of 120 degC..."
has no
> meaning. Test conditions and component ID? A Tj
of
> 150deg does not mean that you are allowed 150deg
on the
> component body. TI, ST, and others have
published some
> good stuff on calculating component temps for
power
> semiconductors. That said, not unusual for
normal operating
> temp of some components in some SMPS to exceed
100deg.
> Of course, Arrhenius had something to say about
this...

For safety purposes, the only temperatures that
count are the temperatures of safeguard
insulations (basic, supplementary, and
reinforced), and accessible parts.

For years, certification houses have measured
transistors, diodes, and electrolytic capacitors,
but they don't count for preserving the safeguard;
failure of these kinds of components do not create
the possibility of electric shock or thermal burn.
(Failure of these kinds of components may result
in fire, but control of component temperature does
not predict whether or not failure of the
component will cause a fire.)

Rich

thermocouple
> to object
>
> UL and CSA have published specific procedures
and
> material recommendations for T/C use in Type
Tests. Most
> NRTLs have some type of CIP program where a
sample
> power supply is sent to a company lab to verify
test
> technique via TRF data veracity.
>
> So the moral of the story is to use whatever
technique that
> enables NRTL/NB acceptance of your test data. In
general,
> cyanoacrylates are my adhesive of choice, along
with
> Loctite 7452, where the attachment is only for
limited
> number of tests. Adhesion is only half of the
problem. The
> other issues that must be addressed are where
the t/c is
> placed on the component, selection of
components, and test
> conditions.
>
> Tape is a poor choice, for many reasons, for
most power
> supply components.
>
> " ...operating at a temperature of 120 degC..."
has no
> meaning. Test conditions and component ID? A Tj
of
> 150deg does not mean that you are allowed 150deg
on the
> component body. TI, ST, and others have
published some
> good stuff on calculating component temps for
power
> semiconductors. That said, not unusual for
normal operating
> temp of some components in some SMPS to exceed
100deg.
> Of course, Arrhenius had something to say about
this...

> In any case, just calculate power dissipation
for the diode,
> then use to calc the Tj. This will be your
'sanity check'.

> Brian

thermocouple to
> object
>
> I used to attach thermocouple to the object
under
> temperature rise test using Kapton tape.
Currently I looked
> at an SMPS that is operating at a temperature of
120 degC
> under an ambient temperature of 20 degC.  The
tape seems
> not very reliable and rigid enough for long
period of testing.
> Is there any other more suitable means to attach
the
> thermocouple to such high temperature point of
interest?

> The spec quotes the max temperature of 150 degC.
Is it
> normal for the rectifier to have such high
operating

--------------
> This message is from the IEEE Product Safety
Engineering
> Society emc-pstc discussion list. To post a
message to the
> list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org>
>
> All emc-pstc postings are archived and
searchable on the
> web at:
> http://www.ieee-pses.org/emc-pstc.html
>
> Attachments are not permitted but the IEEE PSES
Online
http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/
> can be used for graphics (in well-used formats),
large files,

http://www.ieee-pses.org/list.html (including
http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

> Scott Douglas <sdoug...@ieee.org>
> Mike Cantwell <mcantw...@ieee.org>
>
> For policy questions, send mail to:
> Jim Bacher:  <j.bac...@ieee.org>
> David Heald: <dhe...@gmail.com>

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

NOTE: This e-mail (including any attachments) is for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential and/or
protected by legal privilege. Any unauthorized review, use, copy, disclosure or
distribution of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify Mitel immediately and destroy all copies of this
e-mail. Mitel does not accept any liability for breach of security, error or
virus that may result from the transmission of this message.