From: Brian O'Connell [mailto:oconne...@tamuracorp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 8:34 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] "For indoor use only" on External Power Supply

The current *style* is the Risk Assessment. The RA is an assumed probability.
Dunno, as much of the supposed 'probability' for failure does not map well with
resultant MTBF numbers. The sample space is not the probability space, but
probability space does contain a sample space. American engineers are taught
statistics without adequate measure theory; that is, this side of the pond uses
stuff based on combinatorics - not always conducive to the existing finite
sample space.

The measure of the result of safeguards, while codified by many medical
equipment standards, does not necessarily provide a repeatable model for
revealing the effectiveness of safeguards. Data from observations (Type Tests?)
has problems (other than the obvious mundane calculations for measurement
uncertainty) because the 'experiments' (aka, the tests), are not designed to be
randomized experiments. From a simplistic working engineer's POV, there should
never be a pathological integral in this stuff.

By my feeble understanding, we have a mathematical process that strives for a
countable infinite, in order to explain why a coin may never or continually
comes up heads. A non-countable infinite makes for unclean and intractable
theoretical basis. While there are textbooks that provide measure theory for
use in probability theory, the usage is scoped for graduate-level math geeks,
and it seems to be all sigma algebra.

There are some engineering processes (HALT,HASS,SR332) that are using bayesian
analysis, but the initial calculation of both posteriors and a priori to remove
uncertainty for electrical equipment failures is difficult for mortals. But
once you build your database with good RMA (failure data) and ATP (production
data), the dynamic updates yields very tangible and useable results. But how do
we get to a legit RA for our new box about to go to production? Not trivial for
power conversion equipment, at least.

So how safe is it to sit at your computer and read this? Probably about 0.1, or
more, or less...

Brian