John,

In the EU Application Guide 2006-42-ec, 2nd Edition, Recital 35, which is in
reference to and an explanation of the first indent of Article2(a), of the
Directive says:

The Machinery Directive does not apply as such to separate machinery
components such as, for example seals, ball-bearings, pulleys, elastic
couplings, solenoid valves, hydraulic cylinders, flange-connected gearboxes
and the like, that do not have a specific application and that are intended
to be incorporated into machinery. The complete machinery incorporating such
components must comply with the relevant essential health and safety
requirements. The machinery manufacturer must therefore choose components
with adequate specifications and characteristics.

So the product under discussion is clearly not within the scope of the
Machinery Directive.

Doug Nix was correct when he said you need to read the Directive's scope.
If you need a copy of the Application Guide it is available online or
contact me privately and I will send it to you.

Thanks,

Steve Brody

sgbr...@comcast.net

Product EHS Consulting LLC