Ken:

I had a hand-held DMM, back around 1992, which did something close to that.
IIRC, it was made by Beckman (which later sold that division to Fluke). It
had the ability to create a tone whose frequency was proportional to
whatever function and range you had selected. I found it very helpful in
tracking down cable shield problems because you could set it for a
resistance measurement and then walk around some big system shaking cables
and structure pieces while listening to the tone.  Setting it for DCV and
connecting it to the video output on an EMC receiver would give me an
audible indication of RF signal strength. Unfortunately, it was only
proportional and you couldn't set an alarm or trip point.  Seems like in
these days of microprocessors everywhere, somebody ought to have a DMM
option that has high/low limit set-points and even speaks to you.

If any DMM you have has an output of some sort (like the ancient Simpsons
VOM's had), you could build a simple oscillator and comparator into a small
box and use that connected to that "monitor" output of your DMM.

Ed Price
WB6WSN
Chula Vista, CA USA